Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sushi Anyone? Recipe Tuesday--



Sushi.
I can't get enough of this stuff. I love to eat out at my favorite Thai restaurant and eat sushi. I'm going to try and make this at home on Friday night. I always get the salmon super crunch.
I love crunchy foods. It's topped with smoked salmon and has this crunchy tamari on this inside.

I'm going to see if I can't pretend I am Rachel Ray for 30 minutes and make this one below and top it with fresh smoked salmon from the Fresh Market. You dip it in wasabi and hoisin sauce and it is so very very good!! If you make sushi and have a really good recipe please let me know. I would love to try it.


1 1/4 cups water
1 cup uncooked glutinous white rice (sushi rice)
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 pinch salt
4 sheets nori (dry seaweed)
1/2 cucumber, sliced into thin strips
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced


DIRECTIONS
Combine the water and rice in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar and a pinch of salt. Set aside to cool.

Cover a bamboo sushi mat with plastic wrap to keep the rice from sticking. Place a sheet of seaweed over the plastic. Use your hands to spread the rice evenly onto the sheet, leaving about 1/2 inch of seaweed empty at the bottom. Arrange strips of cucumber and avocado across the center of the rice. Lift the mat and roll over the vegetables once and press down. Unroll, then roll again towards the exposed end of the seaweed sheet to make a long roll. You may moisten with a little water to help seal. Set aside and continue with remaining nori sheets, rice and fillings.
Use a sharp wet knife to slice the rolls into 5 or 6 slices. Serve cut side up with your favorite sushi condiments.

No comments: